@ What is Network ?
- A network Consist two or more computers that are linked in order to share resources Exchange files or allow electronic communications.
- The computers on network may be linked through cables , telephone lines , Radio waves, satelites or infrared light beams
Different Types of Networks
Depending on geographical area covered by a Network , it is classified as:
- Local Area Network (LAN) .
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) .
- Wide Area Network (WAN) .
- Personal Area Network (LAN) .
1] Local Area Network (LAN) .
- A LAN is A network that is used for communicating among computer devices usually within an office building & home.
- LAN's enable the resources of shairing such as files or hardware devices that may be needed for multiple users.
- It limited in size , Typically spanning a few hundred meters , and no more than a mile .
- It fast with a speed of 10 Mbps to 10 Gbps.
- Requires a little wiring , typically a single cable connecting to each device.
Advantages Of LAN
- Speed .
- cost .
- Security .
- E-mail .
- Resource sharing .
Disadvantages Of LAN
- Expensive To Install .
- Requires Administrative time .
- File Server May Fail .
- Cables May Break .
2] Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) .
- A Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) is a large computer network that usually spans a city or a large campus.
- A MAN is optimized for a large geographical area than a LAN , ranging from several blocks of buildings to entire cities.
- A MAN might be owned and operated by a single organization , but it usually will be used for individuals or organizations .